Wednesday, January 26, 2011

What not to wear (apparently)

Here's the situation...

My job

is a desk job
a cubicle job
nothing outside in the fresh air
nothing customer facing
just me and a good 'ol cube!

Now
anyone who knows me knows I take these 2 things very seriously
1. Warmth-I'm completely addicted to 
heaters, heating blankets, and heating pads
{space heater on my feet is operating as I type this}

and
2. Being comfy

My comfy clothes go one of these two ways on any given day

The "I didn't get enough sleep and also didn't shower this morning but i'm trying to look cute and at least wear girly colors"  look

this is usually my weekend look when I'm running errands or staggering into Starbucks with a hangover to retrieve a latte as big as my head
or
The "Baggy layers make me look less fat and also make me look like I have style but I kinda look too much like Mary Kate Olsen"  look

This is the one I tend to wear to work.
It's comfy
I'ts easy
It makes me look like I have somewhat tried without really trying
and in my office, it passes just fine! 

HOWEVER

If you choose to adopt one clothing style and consistently show up to work in it
it becomes a bit obvious when you try to change it up

Example:
This morning, for some reason, I decided to dress up a little and wear a casual blue dress, sweater, and cute nude heals
but I also didn't wash my hair in the shower this morning
so
in went the dry shampoo spray 
and up went the hair into a bun
then
I found some cute dangley earrings that totally matched so I had to wear those too
{Up-do+dangle-y earrings=fancy looking}
*
*
*
Walked into work 45 min later to literally 5 people complementing me on my outfit today
"Wow, cute dress"
"Woah you dressed up today!"
"Aww, look how cute and dressed up you are"
and even my cubicle neighbor, Jeff
"Weird, you dressed up today, I'm always surprised when you dress up, don't really know how to handle it"
OK PEOPLE
I like compliments and all,
but ok, I get it
I dont dress up at work usually

So now I am in a difficult situation

Clearly
people at work are aware of my style choices
I'm afraid if I start dressing up MORE
I will get comments about looking horrible when I dress down
**already hearing in my head**
**when I wear one of my "ala mary kate" outfits**
"Woah, whats wrong with you today?? Are you sick??"


But,
I also don't want to commit to dressing up every day!
{toooooo much work}

Seriously, what is the best choice here?

To dress up or not to dress up...
THAT IS THE QUESTION!!!!!!!!!

xo,
*L*Mo

3 comments:

  1. I vote don't dress up!

    I think my work uniform is preppy/lazy lol with the amount of Lacoste and fleeces I wear with heels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at LEAST you wear heels L! I'm ususally in flippy floppys over here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always dress up when I go to work, then again I work in the fashion industry...so I have too haha..but I love dressing up...

    you should stay comfy since you're in your cubicle all day..save that cute outfit for something special!

    ReplyDelete